- Review Process
- Take Action
- A project of
The video provides a comprehensive examination of plastics. Beginning with their origin from natural sources, viewers follow the transition that has taken place to the mass manufacturing of synthetic products and their proliferation in our daily lives and in the environment. Specific topics explored include:
• The chemistry of plastics
• The steps involved in their production including the role of fossil fuels
• The exponential growth and ubiquitous nature of plastics in our world today
• The threats posed by microplastics
• Alternatives to synthetic plastics
In addition to supporting teaching about plastics in the environment, this program should be of interest to science/chemistry teachers looking for everyday applications of organic chemistry in general and the chemistry of hydrocarbons in particular.
The following tool will allow you to explore the relevant curriculum matches for this resource. To start, select a province listed below.