"Mining the Carbon out of People's Lifestyles" is an EcoLeague program for grade 5 and 6 teachers in Ontario that uses the Audit Tool. Mining the Carbon provides teachers with the resources and tools to engage their students in activities to measure and reduce their carbon footprint at school and at home. It includes a workshop and an action component.
The teacher workshop:
- Assists teachers in meeting curriculum expectations in Grade 5 and Grade 6 science through highly engaging and environmentally-focused learning activities
- Assists teachers in creating activities and action opportunities that meet the new Ontario Ministry of Education Environmental Education Policy
The Action includes:
- Teachers participating in the workshop receive 6 electricity meters (value $150) to undertake energy activities with their students.
- Students conduct an electricity audit at home and at school and input baseline data into the website database.
- Each class receives 3 energy saving light bulbs per student (up to 30 students) to install in their homes (value $300).
- Each class receives 5 power bars to install in their classroom and school (value $50).
- Students initiate 'electricity-saving' interventions at school and at home from October to January – i.e. turn off lights, computers, unplug cell phone chargers, etc.
- February – students conduct another electricity audit at home and at school, input the data and calculate the savings.
- There are 3 prizes (valued at $500 EACH) for: the most comprehensive intervention program, the most innovative intervention idea, and the biggest percentage change in watts
- In the home category prizes are awarded to individual students. There is 1 GRAND PRIZE (valued at $50) and 30 prizes (valued at $25 each) for the number, effectiveness and innovation in the approaches to electricity savings at home, as well as the quality of their poster/video submission describing their electricity-saving initiatives.
View Success Stories
Mining the Carbon out of People's Lifestyles is an EcoLeague Teacher Workshop. Download the Mining the Carbon our of People's Lifestlyes: EcoLeague Teacher Workshop Flyer.
Please check back soon for future workshops.
LSF would like to thank the Ontario Ministry of Environment's Community Go Green Fund for their support.